Making A Mobile Marketer
Almost any marketer knows that the business world is ever-changing. The development of new software and devices continue to expand the broad measure of consumer reach. And the once considered impossible could be today’s global phenomena in the marketplace.
So what is guilty for today’s change?
Smartphones. The world is shaping around this handheld object and businesses are pursuing methods of harnessing its power. It doesn’t take much brainpower to understand the idea that to access the phone is to access the customer. But often these forward thinking businesses are left with, “how?” How do we obtain this power, this untapped potential?
To keep the definition simple, mobile marketing is marketing a product or a service with a mobile phone, smartphone, smartwatch, tablet, or any other mobile device.
In the mobile space, you have a variety of options to choose from: SMS, MMS, push notification, in-game mobile marketing, app-based marketing, Banner ads, and location-based services. All of these methods are proven in the field; however, your success depends on identifying the specific tool that will capture your target audience.
As you’re thinking about what tool may be best for your business, being that it may be hard to understand what even half of those terms mean, let’s answer the most common question about mobile marketing…
Why Mobile Marketing?
Well, to keep it simple and quick, here’s a list of why:
- Texting is the most widely-used and frequently-used features on a smartphone, with 97% of Americans using it at least once a day. (Pew Internet)
- Over 81% of American adults text, making it the most common mobile phone activity. (Pew Internet)
- Text messages have a 98% open rate while email has only a 20% open rate. (Mobile Marketing Watch)
- 94% of consumers use online resources to research products and services before making a purchase. (Source: Compete)
- 80% of smartphone owners want more mobile-optimized information while shopping. (Source: Moosylvania 2013)
- Businesses will spend 7.4 billion in mobile messaging by 2017. (Source: Juniper Research)
In truth, the list goes on and on, but I’m sure you understand that mobile marketing is a powerful tool. And by looking at these stats, one would assume a slight favoritism toward the SMS side of mobile marketing. Well, you’re right, so why isn’t it being used?
While mobile is a huge development in the marketplace, the smartphone isn’t quite as huge. Yes, majorities of people use smartphones, but not everyone. If you want to capture every possible consumer and increase your marketing campaign to maximum efficiency, it is wise to use a product that can reach EVERY mobile user. Mobile is the key to the new age of marketing, and you need to develop a strategy around its most simple, yet essential, component. SMS.
You wouldn’t think that there is an entire market that can only be reached through SMS, but the truth is, there is a vast number of them.
In 2015, Pew Research Center found that “Nearly two-thirds of Americans are now smartphone owners…” which means that 1/3 of Americans cannot be reached with push notification, in-game mobile marketing, in-app mobile marketing, and so on. The only way to best reach them is through SMS.
American population = 326,501,000
Non-Smartphone Users = 1/3
People only SMS can reach in U.S. = 108,000,000 people!!
Now you don’t have to go out there solely with an SMS campaign; it can very well be a part of your App focused mobile marketing strategy. Just make sure SMS remains a part of the campaign for maximum efficiency in customer reach.
There shouldn’t be any convincing because the facts alone prove why SMS is necessary and entirely logical. You’re guaranteed:
- The highest read rate
- Higher click rates
Those two concepts are concepts businesses have spent millions, maybe billions in an attempt to steer the customer toward their products/services. However, mobile marketing, SMS in particular, is the simple and affordable answer.
SMS Tips and Use Cases
The great thing about SMS marketing is that it’s simple. Using common sense practices can virtually ensure a good campaign. The primary rules of SMS marketing include:
- Making sure a customer is opted-in to receiving messages
- Be selective in how many messages you send per month
- Make sure your messages are relevant to your audience
The points above are the foundation of a good campaign, and the following use cases are the supporting structures by which you can build and grow:
- Mobile sweepstakes generate leads and ignite enthusiasm in customers. Most everyone likes to win.
- Deals and coupons: Possibly the best motivation for your customers to stay loyal and buy from you. Send these messages to your subscribers. In fact, mobile coupons have a 10% higher redemption rate.
- Try to offer helpful information (service completion time, delivery status, etc.)
- Expiration dates sent out for certain sales will encourage customers to respond quickly
- One-question surveys provide high value because the customer feels involved and helpful, and in lots of cases they really are!
- Offer exclusivity, example: for being a part of the “Rewards Club,” you receive SMS discounts no one else outside of the club will receive
Now one of the biggest questions in the industry regarding a campaign is “How do I get people to opt-in?” Here’s an answer to that question:
“When looking to grow a subscriber list for an SMS program, there are two factors that we have found key… 1. Provide a clear explanation around what information they will receive once opting in. If a user even thinks they may get “SPAMMY” messages they most likely will not opt in. 2. Provide some sort of incentive for the user to opt-in. They are giving you access to their phone so make it a win-win situation.”
-Matt Davis, VP at IRIO
So now you have almost everything you need to successfully carry out a mobile marketing campaign. Remember, as long as you keep the message simple, you will have success in the field. If you are interested in a mobile marketing campaign, then reach out to IRIO Mobile and have them build you a customized product catered to you marketing needs. They will help guide you in creating a maximum effective campaign with positive results.